Climate Change Education and Information Trusted Sources and Sites that Inspire us
Below are eight site categories in which we have identified our “top” three sites. Did you know that in astrology, the number “8” signifies the ability to manage yourself and your environment and to be able to better judge the potential of those around you? The number 3 signifies the ability to successfully connect people to others. There are so many incredible resources available to us on Climate Change, narrowing down the choices in 8 categories and to a “top 3” has been incredibly difficult. We liked the idea of keeping our categories “manageable” and of helping to connect you to organizations and resources that we use, that have inspired us, and that in our opinion, help to empower us to make educated choices for change.
Check back often, we will be changing the sites listed on a regular basis so that we can introduce you to other important resources. Please note that each category is listed alphabetically and that order doesn’t indicate preference. Send us your favorites as well so we can check them out!
Climate Mama recommends the following: Have a look, enjoy and be inspired!
Scientific Studies and Research Sources:
1. NOAA.org - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Books we Recommend:
1. Whole Earth Discipline: An EcoPragmatist Manifesto, 2009 – Steward Brand
2. Cradle to Cradle, 2002 – William McDonough and Michael Braungart
3. Storms of my Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe, 2009 – James Hansen
Our Current Reading List
1. Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder, 2008 - Richard Louv
2. Bothered by My Green Conscience, 2009, Franke James
3. The Climate War, True Believers, Power Brokers, and the Fight to Save the Earth, 2010 - Eric Pooley
Carbon calculators and/or Offset Programs:
1. Nativeenergy.com - Native Energy
2. Terrapass.com – Terra Pass
3. EPA.gov – Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator
News and Information Sources:
1. Grist.org - Grist
2. Treehugger.com – Treehugger
3. ucsusa.org – The Union of Concerned Scientists "Green Tips"
Parent/Teacher Information and Advice:
1. nwf.org – National Wildlife Federation, Personal Solutions!
2 AceSpace.org - Alliance for Climate Education
3. energystar.gov – Energy Star
To Share with the Kids in Your life
Young Voices on Climate Change - DVDs, Short Inspirational Videos, the Power of Young People
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle:
1. CatalogChoice.org – Catalog Choice
2. Earth911.com – Earth 911
3. Freecycle.org –Free Cycle
Fun and Inspirational:
1. Climate Reality Project – Connecting the "dots" on Climate Change
2. Climate Bites - Looking for the "lighter side" of Climate Change
3. Green Ninja - Fighting Climate Change All the Time!
1. Skeptical Science - Arguments to face off with your favorite Climate Skeptics!
2. Seafood Watch - Monterey Bay Aquarium, seafood and sushi sustainability guide
3. Earth Now - Displays real-time global satellite data of Earth's vital signs. Great for students, teachers and anyone interested in Earth science